Questions to Spark Your Creativity

Hello!
I've been trying to jump-start my creativity. A few weeks back I posted another entry which featured some great questions from a book to help get you thinking in your creative mindset.  I thought I could find some more to help get me moving in that direction again.
These questions were found at Carolyn Rubenstein's blog and are some great questions to help get you in the creative mindset.  I have edited the list to fit my needs.  My answers are provided. Try answering these questions yourself and see what you come up with!


Where would I like to explore (anywhere in the world and beyond!)?
Chichen Itza, the Mayan temples in Yucatan

With an afternoon all to myself, what would I do with it?
Ideally, take time for myself  to recharge by going for a hike or to the beach.

What is my favorite spot in this town/city/state?
Anywhere that I can see the ocean or hike in the woods away from people.

How does the weather inspire me?
In Seattle it rains and is overcast a good chunk of the year. That can be a real downer! So when we have nice weather (it's gorgeous in the summertime) I make it a priority to get out an enjoy it. That means movement! Movement allows your mind to wander, so I guess it has to do with the sun encouraging movement and brainstorming of ideas. Then again, the rain or gloom provides a nice chance to curl up and play with my stamps, too!

If I could have any superpower, what would it be and why?
The power to read minds because it's always great to know exactly what and how people think.


What is my favorite genre of art?  Now I should try to find a new artist within that genre and let them inspire my next steps.
Lately I have been ver inspired by painting. I also love paper, music and dance. I'm always trying to learn more, experience, try new things, and gather inspiration and knowledge through listening, watching and researching new artists that intrigue me.

What is distracting me and how do I create a distraction-free environment?
When I am creating, there is nothing more distracting than my cat laying across my paper project! So I set up a box for her to lay in that is close to me but still gives me the space I need. Also, I turn the computer monitor off and remove the keyboard from within arm's reach.


Do I need to declutter my mind to move forward?
Of course!

What piece of my everyday routine can I challenge myself to improve?
My breakfast.  I'm beginning a blend/smoothie breakfast in order to feel better.

Have I complimented my own creativity recently?
Not recently.

Am I relaxed?
Yes! I just got back from vacation! :D


What can I learn from little kids?
Everyone can learn sheer, unbiased and brutally honest truth from children.  (Fortunately, I'm outspoken and am always brutally honest!)


Imagine a beautiful finished product.  How can I work backwards to get there?
By keeping the finished product in mind and working on it piece by piece.


What feeling do I want to elicit in my audience?
Love and caring.  When we care, we share.


What magazines can I check out that might spur me along?
I love vintage Life magazines and Just Cards!. They help get the gears going.


What can I do to take a break from work pressures?
 When I'm feeling overwhelmed in the studio I love to go do something completely off the wall or something to get moving.


If I could create something with an unlimited budget, what would the end result be?
Wonderful. And expensive. :P


Am I organized in a sufficient manner to take on my next project?
Yes.


How can I make the everyday more colorful?
I try to do something creative every day, be it either writing or creating.  Lately its been writing.

When am I happiest?
When I am calm and at peace.  Usually after a good workout or walk.

What small purchases make me most excited?
Any little treasure I can find at a thrift shop!

What is my favorite family vacation/staycation memory?
My childhood trips to Manzanita, Oregon. Before it got all touristy.

What is the scope of what I hope to accomplish next?  How can I break this down into smaller pieces?
I have so many options for what I want to accomplish next. When I plan, I make sure to set the big picture plan, break it down into smaller pieces and then just take it day by day.

Would I rather have complete freedom in creativity or a jumping board to get started?
A place to jump off of is always nice.

In the past, what constraints have sparked my creativity?
Asking myself questions like these questions have helped me; they get you thinking.  I also find researching different inspiring artists very helpful.  Their life, their work.

What is one thing I wish people knew about me?
Sometimes I don't work on art for weeks at a time and its very irritating. Not because I don't not want to work on it, but because I've either got life going on or other things that I need to address.  And sometimes I'm just not motivated to create.

How can I let go of any creative pressure I am feeling?
Realize that its just me putting pressure on myself, take a deep breath, maybe have a beer and get back to basics with it. Have fun and remember why I love my craft.  Its *my* business. I set the deadlines, not anyone else.

How can I start off in simplicity and let the details come later?
I start off with a main idea and let it all fall into place how it may.

Should I start out with a blueprint?
With paper, its often easier to start out with a sketch of the project one wants to create.

How can I wash away my own criticisms?
I cannot do so, but often times we're harder on ourselves than others are.  If I'm insecure about a project, I ask myself why.  And then I seek outside validation.  But mostly, if I don't like it, there's something wrong and I try to figure out what that is and why it bothers me on my own.

Can I place myself into a new environment to brainstorm?
Not to brainstorm, but I've found that movement and getting excercize often helps the creative mindset.

How can I feed my creative muscles?  What are they hungry for?
By visiting museums or researching other artists or playing with new textiles.

What does my dream creative studio-space look like?
A room with teal walls and white trim with two tables and brown carpeting.  A sewing machine, a computer and a closet full of art supplies.

What is my current creative attitude?
My current attitude is to do simple projects that I can get done quickly. I rubber stamp and set up an assembly line in order to get a large quantity of items completed.

Hopes this helps you all and you take some of these questions and answers to heart.
Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Effectively Sell: Part III - FABG!

The Making of The Babadook Pop Up Book HD

Artists Collective: #4 - Robert Norman Ross