Interview with Jessie Beans

Hey Ya'll! Welcome Back!

Well, it's been a rainy May so far here in Seattle! Although, yesterday was 5th of May, which interestingly enough isn't really celebrated in Mexico... Anyways, I hope you all had a fun, SAFE time.

I met today's featured seller last year while I was working the UW Street Fair for Rachael's Handmade Designs. The street fair is usually pretty large, so I was taking a break and cruising to check out other booths and checking out my fellow crafters - and guess what! Jessie Beans' accessories caught my eye! I love her work and really admire how much color she uses and what cute ideas she comes up with! She's doing the fair again this year! Go Jessie, woot woot! Hope it goes great for you!

So here she is, no later delay! ;-)

1. What’s your name and shop name and what do you do?
I am Jessie S., and I run Jessie Beans Handmade Accessories (JessieBeans.Etsy.com). I am Jessie S., and I run Jessie Beans Handmade Accessories (JessieBeans.Etsy.com). My focus is comfortable, whimsical hair accessories. I love things that are colorful, sparkly or have history behind them. I also do brooch's, wrist cuffs and some jewelry. I have a passion for ribbons and vintage rhinestones - so anything I can create using those I will make!



2. Where are you located?
Seattle, WA


3. What’s the favorite part of your craft?
Finding amazing vintage components to use!


4. How long have you been crafting?
Since I was 5 or so, I was big into the puffy-paint sweatshirts as a child.


5. What’s your favorite thing to make?
I love making my brooches and playing with piles of vintage rhinestones!

6. What kind of camera do you use to shoot?
It is my roomate's photography set-up (kneehighsnpigtails.etsy.com), it is very fancy and I just know how to use the basics of it, but it works very well!

7. Who or what models your items?
Usually myself or a styrofoam head, I will hopefully have some photoshoots with models soon!

8. What's the most rewarding part of running your own business?
Hearing the gasps and excited reaction people have to my items when they're all displayed before them. Then watching customers try everything on!

9. What's the most challenging part of running your own business?
Taxes and book keeping!

10. On average, how many things do you create per week?
I have an off/on method. I usually create hundreds of items in a short period of time (I call it "Binge-Crafting"), then put everything away and not think about it for a while. This way everything seems more new to me at my next craft session and I can come up with fresh designs.

11. What inspires you?
History, vintage fashions, fun color combinations, often just the components themselves (like really beautiful ribbons or fabrics).

12. Take me thru your creative process.
I usually pick a specific type of item I need more of to work on (brooch's, feather headbands, hair clips etc) and compile the basic items I need for them at my work station. Then I start to look through the compartments of my crafty-storage bins to see what speaks to me. Usually there a component (often my newest find) that I HAVE to make something with immediately to base the design off of - like a decal cabochon, a ribbon, a silk flower, etc. Then I find coordinating items to go with that one item - like fabrics, ribbons, rhinestones, feathers etc.

Once I compile the coordinating components, I test out a million different color combinations - usually asking my roomates repeatedly what the best combo is. Then I make a decision and start creating the finished product. After I go through this process with a few designs (what I call the "overthinking stage") and have pulled more crafty-compontents off the shelves and have a bunch of pretty things scattered all over my work area, my creative juices REALLY start flowing . At this point I can easily see that A+B+C go together well and start cranking out the designs! Then I end up with a huge mess, clean up and put away everything and start the whole process over again.


13. What is your best advice to blossoming crafters?
Take classes, learn as much as you can and never stop experimenting or growing as an artist! When I compare what I made 6 years ago when I started selling my crafts to what I do now, the evolution is just amazing! If you find what you're currently doing isn't working, there is always something else to move on to!

Thanks Jessie! I sure do love your pieces! Can't wait to come harass you (and shop of course!) at your booth at the fair this year!!

Check out Jessie's shop! Jessie Beans Accessories

***Don't forget! My blog candy contests run thru the end of this month only! So become a follower and follow all the rules to become a possible WINNER!

Cheers,
Xo, Rachael

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Effectively Sell: Part III - FABG!

The Making of The Babadook Pop Up Book HD

Artists Collective: #4 - Robert Norman Ross