A Life Updated

Today's post is about life. I subscribe to a newsletter from a gal in Vancouver who runs Make It University, Jenna Herbut. She has recently shared some very personal things via newsletter and that inspired me to do the same.

If you read my blog on a regular basis, you probably are aware that back in December I made the move to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada for work that I had lined up. I adore the city and I have made a lot of friends and met some wonderful people here. But the job did not pan out in June of this year and I have been looking for work in Saskatoon since. I have been nannying since then to make ends meet, going on endless interview after interview; rejection after rejection. (For someone who is used to being able to walk into an interview and be offered a job, this has been quite humbling!)

Compounding this stress are several factors:

1) I am a qualified as a skilled worker, which is usually a good thing because my career requires experience or higher education.  I have six and a half years under my belt, and international experience: being qualified is not an issue. However, see the other factors below.


2) New federal Canadian foreign worker guides and updated rules hold employers accountable, so there is a significant hesitancy for employers to hire foreign work.

3) there is a significant time delay due to the paperwork, and most employers do not want to wait for the federal red tape to go through.

4) I simply cannot nanny anymore. I am wasting my skills and if I have to answer another question like "why?" or "can I have more cheese?" or say "sit on your bum" for the 7 trillionth time in a row, I am going to freak the fuck out. (It's not that I do not like kids, because I do. I just enjoy other people's children - AND MY NOT TAKING CARE OF THEM. And in case you were wondering, I am/always will be child free by choice, at least biologically speaking.) They are good kids most of the time and I do love them, but I am worn out - I work 6 days a week, 12 hours a day! It's not what I want to do with my life.


So I decided to return home to Seattle, rest, get my bearings, see my family and friends, get a job and make a plan. Funny, and somewhat sad, that the day I decided to return home I received a notification that the first position that I applied for after leaving my former position is STILL seeking a placement  for the position with their firm. The only reason that they recinded their offer was due to the status of my working in the country! SIGH.

Moral of this story: try new things and live without regrets. Even though things did not work out for me here and now doesn't mean that it can not work out in the future if I keep working for what I want! I wouldn't trade the experiences I have had here or the friends that I have made for anything. I am a better person for having these experiences, growing and learning from them. And moreover, I am so lucky to have a loving and supportive family who has been there the entire way for me, supporting me in any way that they could. I owe and love them so much.

As sad as it is to leave, I am excited to return to my family and friends, re-energize and get back to work!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Effectively Sell: Part III - FABG!

The Making of The Babadook Pop Up Book HD

Artists Collective: #4 - Robert Norman Ross