Who is in your Artists Collective? #1

When I first read Austen Kleon's "Steal Like an Artist" and then his "Show Your Work" I was astounded at the simplicity of his ideas. If you have not read these books, then as an artist - YOU SHOULD. They are simple little books with big ideas for creatives like you and me.

Moving onto Kate Bolick's "Spinster" which I read recently. At first I did not care for this book at all, however when I completed it, I found that I had rather enjoyed the read and that it got me thinking about my own creative heros in my life.

So I put together a list of my creatives, with photos or snippets when applicable.

Frida Kahlo


Frida is probably one of my favorite artists, not only for her work but for her fascinating life. She was a surrealist (a label that she herself rejected, although her body of work is decidedly surrealist in my opinion) and which is an odd choice for my own tastes as I most definitely do NOT appreciate surrealism.


Frida regarded herself as a folk artist, a feminist and a communist. (Well, nobody's perfect.) She was married to that son-of-a-bitch Diego Rivera. They maintained their tumultuous marriage by "living apart together" and both had many affairs. Frida dressed in the peasant style for Diego, as that is what Diego preferred, and friends often remarked that Frida presented herself as a piece of art.

Who is one of your creative heroes? Leave a comment and let me know!

Stay tuned for the next artists to come!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Effectively Sell: Part III - FABG!

The Making of The Babadook Pop Up Book HD

Artists Collective: #4 - Robert Norman Ross