Thursday Interview with a Seller: AbunchofScrap

Hiya!
This week I decided to interview another shop I have admired for some time, Abunchofscrap! This shop has a collective, cohesive look. Her creations are wonderful and have provided me with inspiration! From cards to scrapbook layouts and suppliesI hope you enjoy!

1. What’s your name and shop name and what do you do?

The name of my shop is called AbunchofScrap. I create with paper: things that make you smile and things that will help one cherish the memories of that day or event.


2. Where are you located?


I reside in the state of Michigan and have established myself and my shops in my quant little home.



3. What’s the favorite part of your craft?



My favorite part of crafting is creating something from nothing. Making a simple piece of paper or scrap paper into something that is useful and cherished.



4. How long have you been crafting?



I feel that children are born with the ability to create or “craft” it is how one feeds this skill that determines if they are true crafters and have a love for creating something out of simple materials. I have professionally been crafting for 12 years and I am at a point in my life that I can call it a true business.



5. What’s your favorite thing to make?



My favorite items to make are scrapbooking layouts. Using photos of the past and preserving those memories in time to retell the story to generations to come is something that is wonderful. You keep the legacy of why we are here now by sharing those moments.



6. What kind of camera do you use to shoot?



I use a modestly inexpensive camera (cannon) to take pictures of my items for my shop. I am not a photographer but have learned as I have progressed in my business. The “do’s” and “don’ts” of what is eye catching is very important in marketing your items. I am still learning.



7. Who or what models your items?



My items model themselves. I make sure that the quality of my work is seen as true images in my photos with as little distractions or props. Many of my customers are pleasantly surprised that it is even better than what the photo image appears to represent. I am proud of that fact.



8. What's the most rewarding part of running your own business?



The most rewarding part of my business is that, I can stay home with my children and raise them. Knowing that they will grow up to know that their mother was always around and remembering all the little moments.



9. What's the most challenging part of running your own business?



I would have to say keeping up with the trends and marketing. You must be computer savvy now a days, in order to keep up with the fast pass of today’s market. Computers are not my strong point and the time invested in marketing is draining at times.



10. On average, how many things do you create per week?



Well, that is a tricky question. I create for a private customer, I create for friends, I create for myself, I create for my other shops, and I create for my main shop here on Etsy. If I had to give an average, then I would have to say I create about 1,000 items a week.



11. What inspires you?



Inspiration comes from everywhere. I am inspired by other crafters, artists, people who are in my life, what I see in nature, and most of all the feeling and emotions that others have for my work. It drives me to create more and keep doing what I do.



12. Take me thru your creative process.



I usually find myself using moments in my own personal life to start a fresh process of creating something for my shop. For example: I need some tags for a gift that I am giving and think what can I create that will be unique and special. Or I find myself taking photos of my children and saying to myself “I think that those photos will look great on a blue polka dot pattern paper layout”. Then when I get started to create what I am visioning, I get all of the items that I feel best represents the imagine in my mind. I work until it is done (or it won’t get done and I lose the real meaning of why I started to do it in the first place).



13. What is your best advice to blossoming crafters?



Just do it! Never stop doing what you love.

Thanks so much for the interview! Love your items.
Cheers,
Xo, Rachael

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Effectively Sell: Part III - FABG!

The Making of The Babadook Pop Up Book HD

Artists Collective: #4 - Robert Norman Ross