Interview w/Ashley of Kissvamps

Hi All,
 
It's Thursday and that means another interview! Here's my recent interview with Ashley Thomas of Kissvamps on Etsy.
 
1. What’s your name and shop name and what do you do?
My name is Ashley Thomas and my shop name is Out on a Whim by Kissvamps

2. Where are you located?
I am located in West Valley, Utah

3. What’s the favorite part of your craft?

My favorite part of my craft is shopping for new supplies! Sometimes, I get over-zealous and buy supplies that I don't know what to do with, but I eventually find something.

4. How long have you been crafting?

I have been crafting for a long time, but I've only been making jewelry for less than a year. I used to paint a LOT, but don't have the time or space to do it anymore. I had a kid, was going to school full time and had a job and a household to maintain. Painting was put on the back burner.

5. What’s your favorite thing to make?

My favorite thing to make is... hmmm... Well, probably charm bracelets. I am going to make a zombie one for my sister. I have a Twilight one and a nautical/rockabilly one in my shop at the moment. My favorite one was one my mom bought that was made with faux pearls and white sparkly beads and some crystals. It was adorable.

6. What kind of camera do you use to shoot?

I either use a Canon Powershot or a Nikon brick camera. It just depends on what I can find and if I go to my sister's to use her Nikon. I'm hoping I can get my own super camera one of these days.

7. Who or what models your items?

My sister used to model a lot of my items, but now she has a large chest piece tattoo, so it makes modeling certain things like necklaces more difficult. And her ears are stretched so she doesn't model earrings. When I can't get her to model, I try to use combinations of textures and props that compliment my items and make the picture more interesting. I usually kidnap one of her mannequins for hair accessories and dress them up.

8. What's the most rewarding part of running your own business?

The most rewarding part of running my own business is that I can make as much or as little as I want, and do as much or as little promoting as I want, when I want, how I want.

9. What's the most challenging part of running your own business?

The most challenging part is networking. I'm not really a shy person, but when it comes to opportunities in person to promote my shop, I shut down. So, I try to leave business cards with tips, or swap with other people. I also try to wear some of the things I've made in hopes that someone will ask about it and I can slip them my card.

10. On average, how many things do you create per week?

On average, well... that's dismal. Less than one! Some weeks are really busy for me outside of my Etsy business, so I'm not very productive at all. Other weeks, like the week of Christmas, I get a lot done. I made four items and listed three. I totally forgot about the fourth until a week later!

11. What inspires you?

There are so many things that inspire me. I love the rockabilly style, and I'm intrigued with steampunk. My sister is a huge inspiration. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't even have tried selling on Etsy. I also am inspired by vintage things and by pop culture.

12. Take me thru your creative process.

My creative process? Well, I usually start thinking about what to make while I'm showering or using the restroom, since those are about the only times I have to myself, and sometimes, even that's a stretch. Once in a while, I will wake up in the middle of the night with an idea. Then, with a visual in mind, I search Etsy or Michaels for supplies and try to find the time to create. Sometimes, that's the hardest part because my daughter loves to steal my jewelry pliers. Once in a while, when I am shopping for supplies, I find other supplies that inspire another concept, so I walk about with supplies for 2+ items. I'm kind of ADD with that stuff.

13. What is your best advice to blossoming crafters?

My advice to blossoming crafters is that no newly planted seed blossoms over night. It takes a lot of work and love and nourishment to become a flower. I bust my ass for my shop, and I'm still a bud in the dirt. Sometimes you just have to step outside of yourself and realize that success takes work. If it didn't, what would be the purpose of calling it success?

Thanks for the interview Ashley!
Find Ashley's shop, Kissvamps here.

Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time for subscribing to this blog and leaving your lovely comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How To Effectively Sell: Part III - FABG!

The Making of The Babadook Pop Up Book HD

Artists Collective: #4 - Robert Norman Ross