Interview with Julie Lopez

Welcome Back!
Today's post is from one of my good friends and fellow photographers Julie Lopez. Julie and I became aquainted on Etsy and when I held a show in town she dropped by my booth and said hello. We've been buds ever since and I'm always looking for ways to help promote her fantastic work! I'm so proud to bring you this interview with Julie Lopez of ImageNationPhoto.

1. Whats your name and shop name and what do you do?

My name is Julie Lopez, my etsy shop name is ImageNationPhoto. I am a photographer.

2. Where are you located?

I live in Seattle, Washington.

3. Whats the favorite part of your craft?

Being behind the camera, capturing a moment that will never happen again!

4. How long have you been crafting?

I received my first camera (Fujica 35mm) when I was in High School and I was hooked!! I took my first photography class at Tigard High School and loved taking pictures and developing them myself in the darkroom. I still have many of my first images I shot during that time, it’s funny to look back at them now. So to answer your question - I’ve been doing this for a long time - over 35 years!


5. Whats your favorite thing to make?

My favorite is black and white film. When you shoot black and white it’s all about the subject and the moment. Color can be beautiful but can also take up the whole composition and be only about - well - the color. I’m interested in a place, a time, a face. And real faces - not photoshopped to look unreal and perfect. Life isn’t perfect - it’s full of imperfections. I want to see that but what also tends to happen is that you then can see the beauty in that imperfection too!! I also tend to like small images so that you really have to look at it close up and see what’s going on in the picture.

6. What kind of camera do you use to shoot?

I now shoot with a Nikon D50 digital SLR but I also shoot every day with my iphone. My iphone takes really good photos and I’m having a lot of fun using it too!

7. Who or what models your items? n/a

8. What's the most rewarding part of running your own business?

Selling my images to people who will appreciate them!

9. What's the most challenging part of running your own business?

Marketing and selling my images.

10. On average, how many things do you create per week?

I shoot every day. I currently have several new images because I just returned from Vietnam. But in a typical week I may have only 1 new image that I think is worthy to be edited and included in my etsy store.

11. What inspires you?

Faces, children, architecture, music, other photographer’s work, film (movies that tell a great story), the beach. I also get inspired by other Artist’s stories and work and blogs! It keeps me going when I feel defeated.

12. Take me thru your creative process.

Throw on my shoes, grab my camera (and iphone) and head outdoors. I never know when a great photo opportunity might present itself. My creative process is ongoing 24/7!!

13. What is your best advice to blossoming crafters?

Do it. Do it when you think it doesn’t matter. Do it when others wonder why you’re doing it. Do it for yourself first! Make time to do your art, enjoy and revel in that time and never stop!

Thanks Julie!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Effectively Sell: Part III - FABG!

The Making of The Babadook Pop Up Book HD

Artists Collective: #4 - Robert Norman Ross