Interview with a Seller

Welcome Back.

I have been working with my seamstress Dawn since August of 2010. She's made some wonderful items for me and I've been so happy with her work that I decided to interview her for my blog. So, here  we go.


1. What’s your name and shop name and what do you do?
My name is Dawn and my shop is Eleen Fashions though I goofed and used my nickname when setting up my store. I create and or recreate dress from all eras. I am vintage inspired and most of my orders reflect that.

2. Where are you located?
In the beautiful Willamette Valley of Oregon about 40 minutes from Portland.

3. What’s the favorite part of your craft?
Good response from my customers. I love when they love their dresses!

4. How long have you been crafting?
I’ve been an artist all my life. I have been selling seriously for the past 2 years.


5. What’s your favorite thing to make?
Wedding gowns

6. What kind of camera do you use to shoot?
Samsung L730


7. Who or what models your items?
I model them myself, my sister and mom and also when I’m lucky a customer will send me pictures and allow me to use them. I will be working with a photographer in Sweden next year for some professional pictures.


8. What's the most rewarding part of running your own business?
Doing what I love. Not everyone gets the opportunity to fulfill their dreams.


9. What's the most challenging part of running your own business?
Meeting deadlines, I get so stressed. The worst part is the wait to see if my customer liked the outcome and if it fit!

10. On average, how many things do you create per week?
I try for three dresses a week. Sometimes in the case of a wedding gown I can only get two done. I wish I could do more as I have to turn down orders that have certain deadlines because I can only do so many dresses in a month.

11. What inspires you?
My family inspires me as do my customers. I love to look at vintage clothing, patterns and icons for inspiration too.


12. Take me thru your creative process.
It really depends on my order. Usually a customer sends me a picture or description of what they are looking for. I then think about the pieces and shapes to recreate it. If it is really complicated I will start with muslin. For my own designs I usually either sketch something up or I will just use my imagination. It is like a blank piece of paper, then you start to draw and it comes to life. That is how I think of my dresses.

13. What is your best advice to blossoming crafters?
It is easy to get discouraged especially when sales are down. Don’t give up! Keep pushing yourself to create. The big part of crafting, art or design is the need to create so don’t stop just because you are not selling you will find improvements with each creation too. On down times promote more or study up on your field for new techniques.
 
What great advice, Dawn! I really can't wait to see/try on my latest order from you!! I encourage you all to visit Dawn's shop here.
 
Don't forget to follow here, here, and here.
Cheers!
Xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Effectively Sell: Part III - FABG!

The Making of The Babadook Pop Up Book HD

Artists Collective: #4 - Robert Norman Ross